Prairie Smoke News and Events
Do you have an idea for a field trip? If so, please contact Barb Nigon: email@example.com
Prairie Smoke now has t-shirts for sale. Contact any Board member or attend an event. Long sleep t-shirts will be $12 and short sleeved t-shirts will be $10.
Top 10 Tallgrass Prairie Facts
Jeff Nielsen of BWSR sends in the following facts on tallgrass prairie, compiled by Minnesota DNR:
1. Native tallgrass is the MOST ENDANGERED ecosystem in North America and the foundation of PERENNIAL POLYCULTURE. Kansas University
2. Native prairie root systems are the BEST natural soil anchors on earth.
3. In one acre of established prairie there is 24,000 pounds of roots. Iowa State University
4. One acre of established prairie can ABSORB 9 inches of rainfall per hour before runoff occurs. University of Northern Iowa
5. One acre of established prairie will INTERCEPT as much as 53 tons of water during a one inch per hour rain event. University of Nebraska, Lincoln
6. Prairie foliage represents a surface area of 5 to 20 times larger than the soil area beneath it. University of Nebraska, Lincoln
7. Prairie planted in roadside ditches makes highways safer by INCREASING the holding capacity for snow in the ditch provided the shoulder is mowed. MDOT.
8. Natural competition of prairie plants REDUCES the occurrence of weeds in an area. Iowa State University
9. Greater prairie diversity, creates biotic barriers to PREVENT weed invasion. University of Minnesota
10. One acre of reconstructed prairie can produce more bioenergy than land used to grow corn for ethanol. University of Minnesota